Friday, April 3, 2009

Weekend

Day 2 of not having a day of work in a row...done. My feet would be feeling better already if I didn't pull my muscle in my leg dancing at the club last night (but worth it). On Thursday the program took us to Haifa, which is about an 1.5 hours from Tel Aviv. It was gorgeous. Below is a picture of the Baha'i Gardens. According to wikipedia its described as the 8th wonder of the world. It was breathtaking but it was one of those days where none of us felt like touring. We also went to a mosque and elijah's tunnels.

The mosque was interesting. One of the mosque's representatives spoke to us about how the muslim religion is
based on peace, but the media just shows the extremists which isnt a proper representation. A lot of the people on my program, i think, just rolled their eyes at him, some people were receptive, some were passed out asleep. It was nice to hear another point of view, instead of the harsh criticism of the muslim religion. I thought, after hearing him speak  that people in my group should have been more sensitive, since we experience a negative portrayal of Israel in the media a lot as well.  In some ways we have a lot in common--everything shouldnt be just black and white. How can have peace if we defend ourselves when it comes to how we are represented in the media but then buy in to what the media says about "the other side"? Its a two way street.

We got back to Tel Aviv around 7, had dinner and then got ready for the night. The girls and I felt like dancing, per usual, so we went a club called Tel Aviv at the namal (namal is the port in hebrew). It was, once again, a fabulous night of dancing. The picture of me, rachel, and shawn who I went to highschool with but now lives in Israel and plays on their basketball team.

This morning (more like afternoon) the girls and I went to our favorite shakshuka place and then went to an event called "out of egypt". It was an event for the refugees living in Israel, mostly from Sudan. Israel doesnt have a refugee policy yet so it is a very difficult life for them here, even after they have escaped serious human rights violations in the home countries. Many of them end up in jail because they don't have residence papers and they risk being deported back to their home country. The whole time I was there, we were walking around, dancing to the african music that the band played, and I felt overwhelmed with wanting to help. I didnt really talk to any of the refugees, and I didn't know how to help, or how I could make a difference. Its heartbreaking to think what they have all been through (I suggest reading the book They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky). 


Tonight I didn't go out. Once we got home for Out of Egypt I took a nap, then went to get dinner, and since then I have been lying in bed. Unfortunately, tonight my clothing rack fell apart! My clothes almost all fell on the ground and Alex (friend from upstairs) was the unfortunate one standing next to me to try and fix the damn thing right before he was going to go out. I think it is unfixable and I shall be forced to a buy a new one tomorrow. dang.

Tomorrow I am going to read, hopefully practice guitar (yes, I bought a guitar but I suck and I'm also not good with practicing on a regular basis. I really just want to learn how to play weepies songs and sing them), go to the gym, and maybe go to the beach. Tomorrow night is a huge concert which is one of many parties to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of Tel Aviv. Sunday its back to work. Wednesday its finally time for Budapest with KRISTEN.

Time for sleep.

Lyla tov.












1 comment:

  1. when you say Shawn is on "their" basketball team... do you actually mean the Israeli National Basketball team? Or does he play professional basketball in Israel?

    ReplyDelete