Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ani lo mi Israel, aval akhshav ani be Israel

I am not from Israel, but now I am in Israel.

Hebrew classes have begun! Today was our second day.

I absolutely love being in the class. It is taking a very long time to jus
t get one word to stick and our teacher goes over the phrases a million times, but it feels like I am using my brain in a way that I WANT to. After the first day, I learned how to say "where" which is "eyfo". Later on that day, I was at the mall shopping for the apartment and I used "eyfo" probably five times.

I had my job "interview" yesterday. Below are two pictures I took. One is of the hotel and the other is picture at the beach which is right across the street. It was so beautiful, and shocking that I was even there.


















I took the bus to the hotel! It was a bit nerve racking because I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing, but I had instructions from Career Israel on which one to take. After I put my sheckles to pay, I started to walk away and the driver started yelling at me. What he was saying sounded a bit like "receipt" in french, and then I noticed a piece of paper sticking out where I put in the sheckles. Sure enough, a receipt comes out every time you pay for the bus that you need to take.

The interview went well. I met with the operations manager over coffee at the hotel bar. Her attitude was very Israeli. She said that hotel is "Fluid" and that I can pretty much work wherever I want, however they really need help in Jaffa Court. Jaffa Court is where the guests can have breakfast and lunch. I would manage the waitstaff and act as "the face" of the hotel in the restaurant, and be the go-to person when any conflicts arise. That sounds fine, and it would be good experience, but I told her I want to do events.

We decided that I would work for 3 weeks in the banquet department, and then if I want I can try out Jaffa Court. She walked me down to the meeting space, and the instant I was down there I felt like I was home. The air, the energy from the conference that was going on, the set up, and seeing the conference managers run around, was where I wante
d to be. It could be because that is what I am just used to doing for the last two years, or because I do genuinely love it. I still am not sure, and not sure if I will ever know.

 As I think many of you know, I am in an apt with 3 other girls but I am sharing a room with 2 of them. The room we are in is technically the living room. I took pictures of the apartment so you can have an idea of what it looks like! My bed is the one with the red comforter (I bought this at a store after having help from a woman that could translate for me to the sales woman)

Sometimes I think "I can't believe I am sharing a room like this for 5 months without privacy" but at the same time it doesn't really bother me. It could be because while I am here I have this mentality as if anything goes. Below is a picture of the bathroom, the kitchen/dining room/entrance to the apartment.




















I have so much more I want to write but I have to go. While many people do speak english here, it isn't enough where I am not confused or feel out of place on a daily basis. 

Tomorrow I have ulpan and then I am going to a lecture Career Israel organized about the darfur refugees here in Israel. There is a volunteer opportunity to help out at the refugee camp, so hopefully I can sign up and start working there asap.

Shalom!

4 comments:

  1. Look at the bright side, you guys have a bathroom in the apartment, its a step up from London! lol. It'll be fine, think about how many great times we had in that small room! I'm sure it will be the same there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I told you this before, but I am jealous you are learning hebrew. You will have to teach me to be fluent when you get back! HA!
    I like your shower curtina! Did you pick that out or one of your roomates? And I like your "closet" next to the bed. lol. There's lots of heavy coats there. Is it really that cold?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too discouraged you have the corner unit and that is usually preferred, lol. Katy is right this is way better than London, except for the roommates of course :).

    ReplyDelete