Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Knesset

After Hebrew a speaker who works in politics came to talk to us about the way the Knesset works and the new election. I forget his name but he is interviewed a lot on media stations all over the world including CNN. I didn't know much about the way the politics work here, and I still don't but I am trying to learn as much as possible. However, from what I can tell so far, it seems that many Israeli's think that the way the Knesset is run is a mess and nothing can ever get done.

He spoke about the new Prime Minister Netanyahu, and how the media abroad portrays him as very right wing. He IS right wing but he is much more open to change and making a difference than is communicated to the world. It was interesting to hear his view on the Palestine/Israel conflict. He, of course, wants peace but wants to try and obtain it by creating more of a grass roots movement. In the past, peace was attempted by working from the top down, and this time he is going to try it differently. I guess there has been criticism saying "if he is so right wing, there will never be peace" however the speaker brought up the argument that all the past Prime Ministers, who were more left, weren't able to accomplish it in their own way. 

Anyway, he is also going to work on building up the economy in the west bank to try and show that Israel DOES want it to succeed, and sooner or later would like the west bank to be split so there will be a 2 state solution. This all just from memory so I am sure there are many aspects to Netanyahu I do not know, but this is what I have so far.

I'm done for the day, so I think I am going to go to the Shuk (outdoor market) to try and get a good deal on a mirror and some sort of divider so I can have privacy around my bed. Thennn I am going to go to the gym, study Hebrew, and go out with people tonight.

I miss everyone...a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment