Wednesday, February 18, 2009

First Moment


After a night of orientation and asking the question "where are you from?" and answering the same question countless times, I finally was able to go to sleep after being awake for almost 35 hours. I didn't sleep very well, and kept waking up but it was amazing to be in a bed.

This morning we had the choice to either visit David's City or another place (don't remember). I decided to go to David's City because it was one place we missed on birthright. The first part of the tour we watched the history of David's City in this 3D film and then went out to actually see the city and the tunnels.

It was thrilling to be there and part of the history the tour guide talking about was interesting, other parts I zoned out. David's City is in the west bank so part of this area in Jerusalem is where Israeli Jews inhabit and the other part Israeli Arabs live.

At one point we were outside and the tour guide pointed out that all of the houses we were looking at was an Arab area. We continued to talk about I veered a little away from the group and climbed up a rock to get a full view of the area. At that time, the bells began to ring as an announcement that it was time for prayer. I knew that muslim's prayed five times a day, but never hear it in person. I could hear the prayers coming from a loud speaker off in the distance, but it filled the air. I do not know much about being a muslim, or what the religion incorporates, but it was such a powerful moment to be standing on that rock, looking out at the city, being in Israel, hearing the prayer, and thinking of all of the people in the homes I was looking at praying all together at that moment.

After David's Tunnel we went to get lunch and I had the most amazing falafel. Now we are back at the hostel and have an hour break. I am EXHAUSTED and really want to take a nap but I am trying to stay awake. Although not much has happened yet, and I feel a bit uncomfortable and unsettled in my surroundings, I also feel like I have been here for years.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous you got to see the City of David? Did you take lots of picture? I want to see them? Was the water level really as bad as Gidi made it out to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!! i didnt take many pictures unfortunately. since it was winter, we didnt get to see the water :(. it was stilly really cool though...all of the histor was amazing. at one point we coudl walk into this dark tunnel to hear the water. 2 guys i was with thought that the tour guide had walked down the bridge, even though we couldnt see anything.

    we started to walk in the pitch black and i was like "Im turning around, i really dont think he walked down here' Haha, and he didnt!!

    we could have been lost in the dark of david's tunnel.

    wish you were here

    ReplyDelete