Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hate thinking up titles #2

I feel like I have so much to write about and not enough time. There are two things I want to talk about first: volunteer and work. Mia and I went to volunteer for the first time on Monday morning. I woke up at 8:30am, got ready, and went outside at 9:30 to meet Mia. I opened the door to the outside and was blasted by air so hot and humid I could barely breathe. It was overcast outside, but so hot and muggy it honestly felt like hell. Of course, in this weather Mia and I got a little lost trying to find the apartment we were going to, but finally at 10:15ish we got there.

This apartment was much different than the one I went to with Brian. We walked up some stairs and came to a large metal sliding door. Knocked on the door, and a woman opened it who I think is from Sudan. We told her we were with Mesila so she let us in, said welcome, and we walked into the entry way which is also the kitchen. Right away about 4 kids around 2 years old came running over to us. After saying hello to them we walked into the other room (there is only one medium size room in the apartment besides the kitchen) which was where everyone sits all day long.

The room is lined with ten cribs, and about 5 had babies in them and there were some babies lying on the floor as well. Its funny how maternal instincts all of a sudden just naturally kick in. Mia and I went over and each picked up a baby that was on the floor. It was hard because we would each be holding a baby, and then another in a crib would start crying so we would go over and try and hold two babies (sitting down). 

At one point, Mia and were holding 2 babies each (while sitting on the floor) that couldn't have been older than 8 months when the women who runs the "day care center" put 2 others right next to us because they were crying, and then the 2 year olds ran over. We were surrounded. Mia and were laughing "what do we do?" but inside it is also heartbreaking because there just isn't enough people to take care of these children. This is just ONE apartment like this out of supposedly at least 50 in Israel, and this one has MUCH better conditions then majority of the others (like the first one I went to with Brian).

We stayed for 2 hours and when we were leaving the head of the day care (there are 3 women that work there) said "leaving already? please come back whenever you can. we need as much help as we can get". It was heartbreaking and I really did not want to leave. We went back on Tuesday afternoon (the next day) as well. 

Mia and I were discussing how much fun it is for us to hold the babies, and how comforting it is for us personally. It reminded me of how I always say that volunteering is such a selfish act. Its selfish because when people do it, and when I do it, it is because I feel good after the fact or it makes me feel like I am leading my way in a life I should--which in turn is selfish because I am getting something out of this.  

Anyway, Mia and I may go back more often than our scheduled Mon, Tues, time slot. I also want to see if I can work at other apartments too. 

On the volunteer note, I just received an email from another organization I have been trying to do work for. They found a placement for me! A man from the Darfuri refugee community here is looking for someone to teach english to his wife and child (his english is good). I am going to call today and set something up. I wish I could just quit my job and do work like this all the time. 

Speaking of work, I had work on Monday night and all day yesterday. It was a skin care conference which was kind of boring because there were only 200 people but I did score a beach bag and a beach towel from one of the exhibitors. I also took some pictures of where I work finally! 

When I first get into work I go into the dreaded, musty locker room. Surprisingly this picture does not do it justice as to how much it smells inside. ha. My locker is the the last one on the bottom right corner.

After I drop of my things, I go to the office...
Here is the office. Sometimes people will be in here so I dont have to go running around trying to find Daniel. The best part about this office is if I am doing a late shift and most of the managers are gone so I can come in and sneak onto the computer to check my email. This is also where I folded 200 napkins yesterday. EXCITING.When I walk out of the office, here is what I see to walk into the conference center. The elevators are on the sides, and in front is the large foyer area with all of the entrances to the different meeting rooms and the ballroom.This is a picture of the foyer but you can't really see much because the skin care event set up some exhibitors here and cocktail rounds, but it gives you an idea. The foyer is quite large. The start of the exhibitors is only about half way down the foyer.
Tonight I am working from 5pm-midnight for a Moroccan bar mitzvah. There are 450 guests coming and supposedly this guy is in some kind of mafia and his pockets are DEEP. They are having a SOCCER FIELD put in to a part of the ballroom for the kids at the party. I am def. going to try and take pictures of this one. One of the great things about work is seeing the different clientele that come in. I was talking to the head chef yesterday (who is from the States but has lived ALL of the world and has now been in Israel 10 years) and he was telling me all about Moroccan events, how particular they are, and if something goes wrong how bad their temper is. It struck me that I talk about cultural differences with so many people at the hotel, all the time. I am not stuck in this US bubble, and the world opens up into what it really is, and its discussed over and over. I can't get enough of it.

I have to go to the gym before work but before I end this entry, I need some nightlife/social updates. The guy I met at the bar invited me and my girlfriends Monday night to the bar for his birthday. We had serious VIP treatment all night. Champagne was flowing endlessly, and better than that the company from the girlfriends and Y (I dont want to write his full name) was amazing.


Here is Talia and I on our way home. The girls and I (Rach, Talia, Zo, Mia) laughed and danced our way home. It was a glorious night out.


The next night Y took me out for a scooter ride (!!), amazing dinner, and a view of the city. It was probably one of the best dates I have been on in a long time. Perhaps I shall have an entry next about dating in Israel. Some romance! This could all end in a day, but for now I am eating it up.



2 comments:

  1. hey dude
    something to think about re volunteering as selfish.... the thing is, it's hard to do a good job when you dont enjoy it, when you dont get something out of it. it's hard to do good work, devote yourself to something, and be successful when you aren't getting something out of it, or some personal fulfillment.

    Yeah, volunteering makes us feel good about ourselves, makes us feel like we're bringing good to the world, but that's not necessarily a selfish motive - i think it's about altruism and it's intrinsic nature. I think people volunteer because they realize that we're part of something bigger, that we're part of a world greater than just us.

    if we volunteered simply to feel good about ourselves, we would volunteer to take out the trash or clean the streets. but you didnt - you decided to volunteer with refugees and children and displaced peoples. it's about feeling a part of something bigger and believing in our shared humanity and understanding that no one person deserves a greater happiness than another person based on their social standing.

    you know this. stop being so hard on yourself and self-critical! you are doing a good thing and just because you get joy from it doesnt mean that you arent part of the bigger plan. there's nothing selfish about anything you are doing!

    shabop shalom baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand why you might call it selfish because you were so emotionally rewarded for giving of yourself. This speaks to your inner goodness. The fact that you feel fulfilled and rewarded by giving to others is a complement to your humanity. Be proud of it! Hooray for your inner soul, that's my girl:) Now back to reality... you are still coming home this summer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete