Wednesday, May 13, 2009

home sweet home in tel aviv

my mom and dave landed in israel today! i woke up this morning to go to work after going out last night with the girls. i had 5.5 hours of sleep, but i need at least 6.5 hours to function normally. it especially does not make a pretty picture in the morning if i only have 5.5 hours, plus a few drinks containing alcohol earlier in the night, plus a slice of pizza at 12:30am.

i pulled my butt out of bed, dressed, went to the cafe across the street for my favorite iced coffee (here iced coffee is like a frappucino) and walked the 25 min. walk to work. today was a business seminar for 1,200 people. daniel came back today after his 3 weeks vacation. there are parts of daniel i really like, but he also is a hard ass when it comes to making sure i am "working". working aka somewhere in his sight or doing tasks such as going to find peter, so peter can open the drink room, so i can grab 2 coco colas to bring to the office (no joke, this really happened today). i go and grab the cokes with a biting smile. part of me, which i need, finds it amusing that i am even doing this and i roll my eyes at daniel when he asks me to, and then i go up to peter and say in a very sarcastic "i am sounding peppy but this is ridiculous and i know it" tone that he needs to open the room so i can get daniel a soda.

anyway, i tried to hang out with nataly as much as possible (who is the f&b manager's secretary) by helping her count lunch tickets and doing other various tasks. we talked about men most of the day which is one of my favorite topics. she knew all about my date with Y, and how great it was, and how he texted me the night after to say hello and that i havent heard from him since (which was a week ago). my friends and i are quite baffled by this as it seemed as though he had an amazing time as well (by making sure after dinner we continued to hang out when he took me to the view of the city on his scooter, but was a gentleman the entire time and for various other reasons). anyway, nataly decided we should call him from the hotel phone since it is a private number to see if he picks up and didnt lose his phone (i know i know....an episode of "hes just not that into you" but i swear he was into me. ill be the first to admit if a guy isnt). Sure enough, ring ring 

"alo? alo? alo???" i was laughing and had my head on natalys shoulder and she was cracking up as well. it was extremely high school but i was loving every minute of it. after talks and talks and talks endlessly with my girlfriends about the seriousness of the date, the humor of the date, and the analyzation of the date, it was freeing to do something so immature.

needless to say, i still want some romance in my life. i am craving romance--i always crave romance. 

alas it is not here. it doesnt mean i am not happy without it. i love being on my own as well and i try and embrace this time on my own but that doesnt keep a girl from wishing a man would look into her eyes, and hold her face, and feel the presence of that strength, and aching want. 

whew.

anyway, the day continued and i helped with the lunch, walked around a bit, made sure the reservation was set etc. at around 3:30 my mom called to say she was in the lobby. i was so excited for her and dave to come but i didn't realize HOW happy i was until she ran up to me and we hugged for what felt like a long time but not enough time. it felt SO good to have family here. its hard to explain, but until now living my life here feels real, it feels empowering, it feels lonely at times, it feels lovely, it feels like my life. seeing my mom and dave here made it feel SO much more real and i wasn't even sure if that was possible. i felt like this was my city and here is part of my family to see my city, and this country and experience a place that has become a huge part of me that i know will never leave. to know that i can share this really is indescribable and i am not even sure if i am describing this emotion accurately as i type.

they checked in and i escaped from work for an hour and hung out in their room. peter sent up a few bottles of wine so we had a cheers to them being here and then i went back down to work for another 30 minutes. after that, i brought them to my apt to show them where i lived, then we went to dinner at one of my favorite cafes (olive), and then came back here to hang out a bit. they are going to jerusalem tomorrow for a day tour and i am supposed to work from 5-midnight. tomorrow is my moms birthday and i REALLY want to ask daniel for the day off but i "have to work 3 days a week" and i have only worked one so far (i already lied and said i worked half a day on sunday so i'd only have to work a half day on friday). aw well. life is life and work is work. 

i felt a surge of emotion when i started this entry but then i went on gchat and also changed the music i was listening to. change of music=loss of inspiration at times.

thats it for now. i lnost my voice today as well so i didnt go out to king george (a great bar across the street) tonight with the girls. its oly 12:40am and there is a high probability i could be asleep before 2am. inconceivable. 

lyla tov 

3 comments:

  1. INCONCEIVABLE!

    (Everytime that movie is on Bravo I get a twinkle and a tear in my eye)

    Needless to say, I started crying when I read about your reuniting with your mom and the reality that the past few months in Tel Aviv have become your life, your world, that none of us here will really ever know... that being the case is both beautiful and painful in its own way

    ReplyDelete
  2. well not bawling. Just a little teary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahaha (cry and a laugh). thank you for commenting. it means so much to me that you even read this blog. i love it because it helps me share what is happening here as much as i can with you. it is sad though that parts of our lives we just really will not know about each other like we used to. its beautiful because we are moving on and doing things with our lives but so painful because of the love we have for each other and not experiencing it together like we would want to--especially during those times that you just want to share with the people that matter.

    i love you my teary eyed passionate friend.

    ReplyDelete